Keeping your home and family safe is the top priority for every home owner and parent. But standard security systems that offer minimal protection and require high monthly subscription fees just aren’t doing enough to make you feel safe.
It’s time to ditch your standard security system and go for a custom smart home security system that meets your specific needs. And one of the most essential components of that system is going to be a smart video camera.
A smart camera goes above and beyond any normal video surveillance system. It offers you a level of control and safety that simply cannot be beat.
What Is Smart Home Video Surveillance and How Does It Work?
You most likely know what traditional video surveillance is. It’s a set of security cameras mounted either inside or outside of a building. They maintain a constant feed of what is going on in their field of vision.
Those traditional security cameras operate on a closed circuit television (CCTV) connection. That means their video feed can only be transmitted to screens which are connected to it via hardwire. That means if you aren’t sitting next to one of those connected screens, you can’t view the feed.
A smart wireless video surveillance system, on the other hand, is connected via an internet protocol (IP). That means it can transmit and receive data wirelessly via the internet—just like your smartphone, tablet, or PC.
What this means is your video surveillance equipment is capable of transmitting a live feed directly to your smartphone or any other web-enabled device. You don’t have to be sitting in front of a specific screen. You can see what’s going on at home from anywhere in the world (so long as you have internet access).
What Does the Smart Video Camera Do Differently?
In addition to being able to transmit their live feeds to you no matter where you are, smart video surveillance software can offer a lot of other important security features as well, such as:
- Automatic recording when it detects activity so that you never miss anything and have the recordings needed to help police catch any intruders.
- Integration potential with other security devices in your home. Connect it with motion sensors so that your smart camera automatically starts recording once the motion sensor near it detects motion.
- Elderly/disabled assistance. For those who have difficulty getting up to answer the door, a security camera can be combined with a smart door lock so that the person can see who is at the door and unlock it to let them in all from their phone or tablet so that they don’t have to get up. This can help give that person a stronger sense of independence as they don’t need their family or hired help to assist them.
- Discreet security: if you don’t want a bunch of bulky and imposing security cameras mounted around your home, you can opt for discreet small cameras that can easily blend in with the décor inside or smart light fixtures with built-in cameras for outdoors. Keep your home looking nice and welcoming without sacrificing your safety and security.
Why Do You Need A Smart Video Surveillance System?
If you don’t currently have a video surveillance system of any kind, you might think it is a bit unnecessary. But it is actually one of the most important parts of a security system.
With a standard system or even a smart system that doesn’t include home video surveillance, you can be alerted when anything suspicious happens but your chances of catching any intruders is not very high.
Smart video surveillance allows you to see exactly what’s going on and record anything suspicious so that you have the evidence you need to help the authorities.
There are two different surveillance setups you can have: indoor and outdoor. It is strongly recommended that you use both and here’s why:
Outdoor Video Surveillance
Outdoor video surveillance is your first line of defense. These are the cameras that are going to notice any suspicious potential intruders before they make it inside. They can send you alerts as soon as they notice anything and you can decide whether or not it’s worth calling the authorities.
Indoor Video Surveillance
Indoor video cameras are the ones that are going to catch any break-ins or thefts in action. If the intruder makes it inside your home and you don’t have indoor video cameras, you won’t be able to capture exactly what he did on video.
In addition to helping you catch intruders, indoor video surveillance can be used for other things:
- Check in on your pets to make sure they are doing ok and they aren’t getting into anything they shouldn’t. This is also true of your outdoor video surveillance.
- Check in on your children to make sure they are doing their homework instead of watching TV.
- If you get an alert from your smoke or fire detector, view a live feed inside your home to see what has triggered your detector to go off. This way, you can address the problem before it causes serious damage.
As you can already see, there are a lot of valuable benefits to incorporating smart home video surveillance into your security system.
You can place discreet smart video cameras all around you home to make sure you never miss anything important and tackle any problems before they cause serious damage. This gives you the feeling of safety and security you need to feel confident when you leave home each morning.