Until very recently, the most you could expect from a light is that it would turn on and off when you flipped a switch. There were a few other options like dimming or clap on functions but mostly, a light was either on or it was off. And you had to get up and manually operate the switch to do that.
Today, home automation lights have changed all that and expanded the possibilities of lighting. You might think that all a lighting system needs to do is be either on or off but once you learn more about the different features that smart home lighting offers, you’ll realize how much more you could be getting out of your lights.
Standard Lighting vs Smart Lighting Systems
First, it’s important to understand exactly how smart lighting differs from standard lighting. So what does your standard lighting system do?
- Turn on or off when you manually flip a switch.
- Dim if you install a dimmer switch which must also be manually operated.
- Work on a timer (if you manually install a timer and then set that timer).
- Turn on and off via clapping, if you have the special lights that are capable of doing that.
This is the farthest extent of what standard lighting can do. But a lighting system should and could be doing so much more to make your life easier and save you money. And a smart lighting system will go above and beyond.
To be “smart” simply means that it is connected to the internet. When your lighting system is smart, you can do so much more. Here are a few examples of what your new smart lighting system will do:
- Turn on or off automatically according to your schedule or by using sensors to detect when you are in the room and when you leave. You can also turn them on or off from your smartphone.
- Dim from your phone without having to install any special dimmer switch.
- Operate by a timer which you can set from your smartphone or automatically according to your own schedule. No need to reset each day unless you want to reprogram.
- Turn on or off while you are away. If you are worried you left your lights on when you left the house, just check your smartphone and turn them off from wherever you are. No need to mess up your day. And in most cases, your smart led lights will automatically turn themselves off when they know you have left the house.
- Change colors. Some smart lights are capable of changing colors. You can set the right mood, use different colors to help with different things (like waking up to cool colors and relaxing before bed with warmer colors), sync your lights with your music for audio visualization, and much more.
- Anti-burglar mode. Some smart lights have an anti-burglar mode which, when set, will command them to turn on and off randomly to give the impression that someone is at home while you are away.
- Wake up mode. Tell your lights to gradually turn on in the morning to mimic a sunrise and help wake you up gently so that you feel more refreshed and alert in the morning.
- Custom tones. In addition to a wide range of color options, some lights even offer a variety of different white light tones so that you can go between softer, warmer white lighting or brighter, cooler tones depending on the mood you are trying to set.
- Ask your lights to alert you to phone calls, texts, and more by blinking on and off or otherwise changing to get your attention.
- Provide discreet security. Some light bulbs and outdoor light fixtures come with built-in security cameras and intercoms so that they act as both lighting and security. Install one on your front door so you can see and talk to whoever is there from your smartphone.
- Automatically adjust for time of day. Some smart lights will consider how much natural light is coming into the room and adjust themselves accordingly so that you use less energy during the day.
These features and more are all available in lighting systems that already exist on the market today. And engineers are working hard to add even more amazing features that are practical, fun, and efficient.
The Smart Lighting Advantage
These features aren’t just cool and exciting, they also offer a lot of advantages that standard lighting just can’t offer. So if you are on the fence about whether or not you really need smart home lighting automation, reading about some of the benefits will help you make the decision.
- Increased Comfort. You may not realize just how much time you spend turning lights on and off. And having to run from room to room to flip switch after switch during your already hectic mornings before you leave the house can be very annoying. Smart lights take care of themselves. And if you want to be absolutely sure, you can turn every smart light off from your smartphone, wherever you are. When you add in the mood lighting, dimming options, and security features, your comfort increases even more.
- Increased Productivity. The lighting in a room can have a huge effect on your productivity. Dim, warm lighting makes you feel relaxed and ready to sleep but bright, cool lighting makes you feel more alert and ready to tackle any project. Plus, using the lighting to help you fall asleep more easily at night will also help you be more productive the following day.
- Save energy. With smart lighting, your lights will use up to 60% less energy. The dimming abilities let you use less power when the lights are in use and automatic on/off abilities decrease the number of hours the lights are in use.
- Protect the environment. Protecting the environment is more important now than ever but doing your part usually means needing to make tough sacrifices. With smart lighting, you are able to protect the environment without making a sacrifice. In fact, smart lighting makes life more comfortable and convenient. So you can use less energy without having to endure life in the dark!
- Longer bulb life. Using less energy each day means your bulbs are going to last you much longer. Some estimates show that a bulb will last as much as 20x longer simply by using the dimmer. That can be extended even further if your lights are able to automatically turn off when you aren’t around so that you aren’t using it up to light an empty room.
Smart Lighting Solutions
You can install smart lighting indoors or outdoors or both in order to create the perfect custom lighting system that suits your needs, protects the environment, and saves you money all at the same time.
Smart lighting solutions are made up of smart light switches and smart light bulbs. For outdoor use, you also have the option to use smart solar lights.
Smart Light Switch
Use your regular light bulbs in combination with a home automation light switch to give you more control over your lights. With a smart light switch, you can turn your lights on and off from anywhere in the world. And you can dim them to save energy.
Smart Light Bulbs
Smart light bulbs can offer you a lot more options than light switches because the bulb itself can be controlled rather than just the switch that controls it. Enjoy custom color lighting schemes, different lighting modes, and occupancy sensors
Smart Solar Lights
Smart solar lights can be installed along walkways, on porches, or in your garden. They charge up during daylight hours and then can be turned on at night using your smart phone. There are a lot of beautiful, decorative options available to add a great lighting system to your yard without using a single kilowatt of energy since it is totally solar powered.
With all these different options and the amazing advantages they offer, smart lighting is a no brainer. It’s one of the best ways to save money and as far as smart products go, smart lighting is one of the cheaper systems to add to your home.
So start designing your perfect custom smart lighting system that suits your home today.